Wednesday, December 7, 2011

"Romancing the Looky loo's Reading response - Victoria

Is this essay saying that we let people dictate who we are and what we will become? In the beginning Hickey comments on hoe people who support do so because they want to be like you, they want to have what you have and when you don’t have that anymore then they will find someone else to aspire to be like. What I get from this is that once someone sees what they want in us they stick around and if we like that, to be followed and admired we will do what is necessary to keep it. This makes me think of the popular girls in high school. A number of girls follow one because they want to be like her and on her side. Even though they hate her they will still follow her because its the next best thing and she as the leader will do what she has to maintain her power. If I am not an artist who has followers but I “follow” contemporary artists, does that make me a spectator in Hickory’s father since of the word? One who views artist’s work because they want to be like the artist? If I see my peers work and think about it more then I liked to admit and secretly hope that I become successful before they do, what does that say about me? I do not want to be considered successful because I am followed nor would I personally see myself as successful even though that would be great. I would consider myself successful whenI can speak the world that which I want to be apart of. It is then that I will have no doubts about if I am a spectator or an artist.

No comments:

Post a Comment