Monday, December 19, 2011

Bachelard Reading

Reading Bachelard resonates with my work as an artist and how intimate spaces or presence seem to emanate from my work. The house being the corner of the world, and a place where imagination runs throughout the home you grew up in, reminds me of times as a child where I used my imagination to create places for my things or treasured belongings. My house felt safe, and my things were safe inside these places in the home. The space you call home and the construct of having a roof sustain shelter from everything seems to safe keep us from the outside world, of reality. Homes also hold memories that reality cannot recreate, or reinvent. Within homes or our families homes we create memories that hold within that space and never leave. They may change the look of the space but the memories and imagined places we once lived or spent quality time with family in never leave our memory. I love the poetic language of the cellar or garret, and the attic within the home. The spaces where we have our deepest, most intimate moments or places where our deepest secrets are kept are often those places within the home where we fear to go, or to explore for fear of emptying ourselves out or our secrets to an unsafe place. The houses we live in, grew up in, or our families helped cultivate our lives in have an impact on us and our deepest memories of our lives.

No comments:

Post a Comment